Founded in 1912

About Club History

History

  • November 16, 1885 -- first incarnation of the St. Paul Curling Club incorporated
  • December 21, 1885 – Nushka Curling Club formed
  • Christmas Day, 1885 – first curling match ever in St Paul played on the Mississippi River near Raspberry Island (later to be known as Navy Island)
  • 1886 – first Winter Carnival Bonspiel played on 8 sheets of ice in Central Park (southeast of today’s state Capitol)
  • 1891 – first St Paul Curling Club built on Raspberry Island with 5 sheets of natural ice
  • 1892 – Northwest Curling Association formed by clubs from Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota and Illinois
  • January, 1893 – First Northwest Curling Association bonspiel held at St. Paul
  • February, 1903 – Royal Caledonian Curling Club from Scotland tours US and Canada, and plays at the Minneapolis Curling Club and the Nushka Curling Club
  • 1904 – original St Paul Curling Club closes, several members start Capitol City Curling Club the following year
  • 1912 – St. Paul Curling Club incorporated in its current form when the Capitol City Curling Club and Nushka Curling Club merge to form St Paul Curling Club and open new clubhouse at 470 Selby Avenue in December. Club had 6 sheets of ice, main floor club room and viewing area on second floor
  • January, 1913 – St Paul Curling Club hosts 20th annual Northwest Curling Association bonspiel on 6 sheets of ice inside the club and 6 more sheets outside under huge canvas tents
  • 1922 – SPCC is in financial straits with two mortgages on the clubhouse and insufficient income with annual dues of $15. Dues are increased to $20 to save the club.
  • 1932 – members vote to install artificial ice at SPCC. Estimated cost for 8 sheets was $11,000.
  • 1939 – first 2 sheets of artificial ice installed as a “trial basis”
  • July, 1943 – SPCC hosts first ever summer bonspiel at St Paul Civic Auditorium. Sixty rinks competed and bonspiel winner was Ken Watson.
  • 1944 – added 4 more sheets of artificial ice
  • 1947 – artificial ice for 7th sheet
  • 1952 – first ever Canadian goodwill trip and formation of St Paul Bonnie Spielers
  • 1961 – Metro League organized to attract new curlers
  • 1962 – Mixed Curling Club formed and sheet 8 is finally refrigerated
  • 1963 – first Winter Carnival Mixed Bonspiel held
  • 1960s and 1970s – decline in membership, deterioration of neighborhood bring discussions of moving or disbanding the curling club
  • 1982 – old building over sheets 7 and 8 is demolished and replaced, ice plant is renovated
  • 1983 – major renovation of club rooms
  • 1986 – new lighting installed in arena
  • 1988 – SPCC hosts USCA Mens Championship and becomes first club to host every national championship curling event
  • 1994 – first junior bonspiel at SPCC