8-Ender at SPCC
On Monday, October 21, the Merlin Orvik rink scored an 8-ender in the first end of their 4:30 league game against Team Eustice. Team members were Britt Fugina at lead, Marlin Johnson at second, Paul Oberstar at third and Merlin Orvik at skip.
Dex lost his brief battle with cancer on Friday, September 13.
He is survived by his wife Debbie, sons Mike and Jeff, granddaughters Dani, Bailey, and Gracie, and sister Pam.
Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.
Dex's presence at SPCC will likely never be replaced. He was a true icon of the sport we love and his loss will be felt all across the curling community. Join us in remembering and celebrating the life our beloved manager, ice maker, and coach:
Saturday, September 21, 2019
Memorial service will be at 12:00 PM, with a gathering starting at 10 AM, at:
10658 210th St. W
A celebration of Dex's life will be held after the memorial service at our club.
Star Tribune article
Did you miss the managers party and club championships on April 15th? A brief recap:
Club Championship: Ruohonen defeated Cerkvenik
- Ruohonen rink: Rich Ruohonen, Mark Willmert, Andrew Puleo & John Johnson
- Cerkvenik rink: Steve Cerkvenik, Paul Cerkvenik, Wayne Vespoli & John Kuronen
A-Flight: Hovland defeated Hedstrom
- Hovland rink: Andrew Hovland, Desmond Kilcoyne, John Hovland & Nicholas Elfering
- Hedstrom rink: John Eustice, Bob Hedstrom, Eric Schultz & John Zimmermann
B-Flight: Dolan defeated Nelson
- Dolan rink: Chris Dolan, Darin Holt, Tom Pecchia & Dale Webb
- Nelson rink: Bob Nelson, Tim Lindgren, Dan Frey & Steve Meyer
C-Flight: Lickteig defeated Metcalf
- Lickteig rink: Tom Lickteig, Troy Lockwood, Todd Thomas & Mike Spragg
- Metcalf rink: Dan Metcalf, Tom Conroy, Jeff Dubois & Kenneth Judge
D-Flight: Bauer defeated Ernster
- Bauer rink: Paul Bauer, Dan Dickinson, Tedd Cheney & Robert Hennelly
- Ernster rink: Bob Ernester, Bob Reichenbach, James Guhl & Al Zdrazil
Mixed: Severson defeated Owens
- Severson rink: Curt Severson, Caela Severson, Ron Paul & Brenda Paul
- Owens rink: Zac Owens, Liz Owens, Aaron Nunberg & Jen Kamarainen
New Board Members:
Congratulations and welcome to the newest members of the board:
- Chuck Donkers
- Julie Smith
- Don Pitlik
And a big thank you to out-going members Donn Satrom, Pete Westberg, and Kristin Lovejoy!
Honorary Lifetime Member
John Armstrong has been a member of the SPCC for 54 years. He represents the third generation of a curling family that now includes a fifth generation of curlers. He served two terms on the SPCC Board of Directors, has chaired both the Kyle Satrom and Winter Carnival bonspiels, and was the 2008 recipient of the Larry Pieper Service Award. He has spent the last several years as an on-ice instructor for our corporate rental groups. Congratulations, John!
Larry Piper Service Award
Rich Fitzgerald has been a regular on the Tuesday Night Work Crew for many years. He is the club's first 2nd-generation recipient of this prestigious award. He has a knack for finding the most efficient and cost effective way to complete a complicated project, and he has all the tools necessary to complete the task. Congratulations, Rich, and thank you!
The St Paul Curling Club 2+2 Bonspiel will be held Sunday, October 20, 2019.
- Bonspiel Type: Open spiel; teams consist of 2 experienced curlers and 2 new curlers
- 16 Team Limit
- Two 4-end games, lunch, and beverages included
- First draw is at 10:00 am; doors open at 9:00
- One-day bonspiel
Registration and Cost Info
- Entry fee is $70 (includes tax) for a 4-person team
- Register and pay online -- one registration per team
- Registration deadline is October 18, 2019
- You will receive a confirmation email when you complete the online registration
- Entry fee includes food and beverages
The St Paul Curling Foundation (SPCF) is now open for business. Members have often asked if they can make tax-deductible contributions to support SPCC and now they can. The SPCF exists to raise money for the Foundation's various supported causes, including junior curling, curling education, and the historic preservation of the St Paul Curling Club. Eligible parties can apply for funding from the Foundation, and anyone can contribute to these causes by donating to the Foundation. Donations can be made by credit card or PayPal, by leaving a check at the club, or by contacting your financial institution to perform a bank transfer.
To find out more about the St Paul Curling Foundation, please visit their website.
Congratulations to the following teams on winning their respective brackets in the 2018 SPCC Club Playdowns!
- Club Championship -- Team Beadle over Team Stolt
- Competitive League Champs -- Team Stolt over Team Meyers
- A Flight Champs -- Team Jytyla over Team Hovland
- B Flight Champs -- Team Gartner over Team Barisoff
- C Flight Champs -- Team Satrom over Team Cerkvenik
- D Flight Champs -- Team Eliason over Team Quinn
- Bonnies A Flight Champs -- Team Armstrong over Team Dunn
- Bonnies B Flight Champs -- Team Rachu over Team Powers
- Bonnies C Flight Champs -- Team Matthews over Team Orvik
- Mixed League Championship -- Team Abraham over Team Faltesek